Saturday, December 7, 2013

Ender's Game


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Michael, Kate

Did you guys know that Digital Domain was a production company? Their logo appears before this film for producing, not just vfx. I thought they went bankrupt? Anyway they finally got controversial novellest Orson Scott Card's classic sci-fi story to the big screen after decades in development, and it does look mighty pretty.

I've never really been that enamoured with Asa Butterfield. The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas did not work for me at all and just turned me off him in general. Even in the wonderful Hugo. He's not terrible or annoying but he doesn't have much presence to me, which could have been a problem for a character like this, but it kind of works in his favour for the character arc.

I didn't know the story going in and while it's a straight up war games film set in space there's an interesting morality play going on and enough emotional depth to the character to make the action investable.

Did I mention it's mighty pretty? Oscar VFX nominations have been shortlisted and this was left off, which seems like a real oversight. There's some amazing work here. I guess we're over saturated with VFX now though. Still I really enjoyed this one. I obviously didn't take part in the LGBT boycott, the studio maintains that the author is a producer in name only and so many wonderful artists did amazing work in a film that is all about promoting equality and understanding of others. I'll file this next to Wagner's operas, the work has merit even if the author is a dick.

No comments:

Post a Comment