Thursday, January 2, 2014

Dinosaur


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes

This washed out the bad taste Walking With Dinosaurs 3D left in my mouth. I haven't seen this in such a long time and I can't believe it's 14 years old. Feeling my age...

Well the films hit many of the same story beats but everything (except the dated computer graphics) is just better here. So Walking With Dinosaurs has bounce lighting and sub surface scattering, better fur simulation and better compositing in general. What it lacks is some kind of developed characters, a good sense of humor and any sort of tension or pathos. I.e. anything to make you care about what's happening.

There's some pretty scary stuff in this one actually, I remember a big deal being made about it being rated PG at the time. That meteor hit is still pretty spectacular even though I can tell all the compositing elements they probably used now. Must have been tricky at the time though. It doesn't look it now but this was the most expensive film of 2000.

What really helps this film soar is James Newton Howard's magnificent score. I can still hum that theme tune.

So great to catch up with this one. Despite its age and the dated graphics it's still great.

No comments:

Post a Comment