Thursday, January 27, 2011

Arsenic and Old Lace


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

I have never seen the play of this. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a Frank Capra film. THAT'S RIGHT! I have never seen It Happened One Night or Mr. Smith Goes to Washington or It's A Wonderful Life. I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. I think that's quite a feat actually and wear that as a badge of honour. I'll watch it one day. Maybe.

SO how did I go with this one? Eh, not so great really. I just can't stand Cary Grant in this. Always mugging to camera, it's too much for me. I must not be in the right mood or maybe it's the different sensibilities between comedy then and now but I didn't find a single thing funny about this supposed comedy. I recognise all the comedic situations and the twisting of the murder mystery conventions but it just all fell flat.

All the exposition right at the start feels so much like the beginning of a bad play it's almost unintentionally comical. I think this should probably have just been left in the theatre, or if it's going to be put up on screen they should have made more of an effort to make it cinematic.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036613/trivia?tr0645228

    Hah well there you go, even Cary Grant didn't like his acting in the film.

    ReplyDelete