Sunday, January 23, 2011

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan

Continuing a post apocalyptic theme. It's been a little while since I last watched this, probably my 3rd favourite Miyazaki film and his first feature film from Ghibli. It looks fantastic on blu-ray and I hope Madman they release the rest of the catalogue in HD soon! You can actually see the drop shadows from where the animation cels are placed over the backgrounds.

I watched with the new english dub. I know the purists say only to listen in Japanese but I actually quite like some of these new translations and the voice acting is very well done. Kudos to Disney for not half-assing it.

I have always liked the first half of this film more than the second, don't get me wrong, I like the ending and everything it's just I love the scenery at the start in the toxic jungle and the green valley.

It's just as enjoyable as I remember it. Kurotowa, the evil general, is such an odd character in this film, I think he's comedy relief but perhaps it doesn't translate very well. But the rest of it is a treat. Ghibli fans probably already know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment