Sunday, January 2, 2011

Monster House


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Amberly

One of the few recent children's films that has that awesome 80's kids only adventure vibe about it. Where the kids act like kids, adults don't figure into the story and there is a real sense of danger and consequences. It's a pity I'll probably never get to see this in 3D on the big screen again because I recall it being spectacular.

I have a huge fondness for "Kids Horror Films" and they are hard to come by nowdays but this fits the bill nicely. Fantastic actors used for the motion capture and I think it's mainly because of them the humour works so well. I forgot how funny this was and all the lines we used to quote from it.

Oh and someone needs to tell Robert Zemeckis that, while motion capture is cool, using characatured humans rather than trying to get perfectly lifelike people from cg characters works much better. None of that uncanny valley nonsense here.

Director Gil Kenan does a great job and I hope his next film City of Ember hasn't destroyed his career, because I actually really liked that film too and would love to see more from him, animated or live action.

No comments:

Post a Comment