Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Matching Jack


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

This is the reason I don't like going to see Australian movies at the cinema. I almost did, a few times, whilst this was playing last year but I never got around to it so I checked it out on dvd now.

I can't recall a film I've ever seen that was so utterly and completely destroyed by the music. It really brings the whole film down to TV movie of the week level. Don't get me wrong, that's not the only thing. The cinematography isn't great (Was this shot on HD? It certainly looks like it. I don't normally care but it just looked so cheap here.) The acting is fine from the adults most of the time, but the kids, not so much. It's a bit mean to expect a perfect Irish accent from young Kodi Smit-McPhee, but he does do a fine american one in The Road and Let Me In. There's nothing worse than a bunch of kids fake laughing.

But the script just isn't there. It's a shame, this was a great concept and could have been really good. I'm sure they did the best they could with their budget. Uhh that music just grates my ears. That coupled with the subject matter makes the whole affair seem so tv movie. I wouldn't bother with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment