Friday, April 29, 2011

Mulholland Drive


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan, Amberly

I think this is a good one to show as an intro into David Lynch. It has all his trademark stuff but I think it's slightly more accessible than some of his other films. Except maybe Blue Velvet but I neglected to take that on holiday with me.

Originally a tv pilot, and when you watch it you can practically see where the episode cliffhanger would end and the film takes off. Consequently there appear to be a lot of characters and plot threads undelt with, but that's never really been a concern of Lynch now has it.

He's not for everyone, but I like the uneasy moods he creates, mixed with some very funny moments and hilarious over sincerity that comes across to me as satirical. Looking for a concrete reading of events will never work, it's best to just let the film wash over you. And if that sounds to wanky and pretentious, well, it is, that's certainly an undeniable element of his work. But I find it's relatively easy to feel your way through should you choose to.

This is the film that made Naomi Watts. It's also the film where I became more than slightly obsessed with Justin Theroux. There's quite a host of colourful characters, many of whom would probably have been more important had the show gone to series.

This is also the last feature Lynch has done before he started working on digital and doing his online shorts and it doesn't look like he'll be returning any time soon, so treasure this one, Lynch lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment