Thursday, August 18, 2011

Friends with Benefits


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Naomi, Alex

Well I was hoping for a little more from Will Gluck. It's no where near as funny as Fired Up! or as intelligent as Easy A but it's a damn site better than No Strings Attached, which is practically the same film but with Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher, so I guess that's something.

I do love a good "bad film within a film" and I Love You, I Love New York is very funny, especially the pathetic recreation of New York in L.A. The biggest problem with using this device to poke fun at the conventions of the Romantic Comedy is they are then in the forefront of the audiences mind. The logical step would be to then break with some of these conventions, not to follow them completely to the letter. You're only highlighting how conventional your own film is.

Still it's still better than most romantic comedies I've seen this year. I'll put that down to the good cast. Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake having sex is pretty alright too.

No comments:

Post a Comment