Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hellraiser


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan, Tyler

I do enjoy my Hellraiser bluray. A series that stands apart from all other 80's slasher horror franchises (except maybe Phantasm), it's really it's own thing.

It's actually a tragic romance, wrapped in sadomasochistic horror fantasy. I hear there's a remake in the works and I might be able to get behind that if they focused on making the drama and relationship dynamics work a bit better.

But I gotta say, although not all of it holds up today most of those practical gore effects are outstanding. My favourite being the reformation of Frank through the floorboards, with his skull and brain forming and then his spine reattaching. That is awesome.

The other thing I love about this film is Christopher Young's beautiful score. It's unlike most other horror music of the period. It seems everyone wanted to copy Psycho with shrill violins but here the music is beautiful, fantastical sweeping melodies but also dark and brooding. He's my favourite horror composer.

Also yay for extreme 80's fashion and hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment