Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Hunt for Red October


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

Gotta admit, this is the first Tom Clancy story I've seen. It's also the first one adapted to my knowledge. It's also been a while since I've seen any John McTiernan film.

It's a pretty cool story, and although I don't think submarine warfare is terribly cinematic visually, there are some great moments of suspense and a bit of action. Plus there is a ridiculously talented cast in this film that don't seem to have all that much to do, but look happy enough to be there anyway.

It is a fine looking film technically too. I actually owned the soundtrack for a very long time so I was aware of some of the music but had never seen the film to which it went. Funnily enough Basil Poledouris also did the music in Serial Mom which I watched today. Very different scores but both pretty cool nonetheless.

Anyway, It was cool to finally see this one, and in HD. The 90's effects hold up pretty well for the most part. I do love them. I'm not sure I'll be rushing out to see the other Tom Clancy films, it's not really a genre I seem to be able to sink my teeth into but I definitely wouldn't say no to them if they popped up as an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment