Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Submarine


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Tyler

A sweet, quirky, fun British coming-of-age dramady with very indie sensibilities. It's everything you'd expect it to be, not overly sentimental and just barley manages not to get too clever for its own good.

I can't remember the last film I saw set in Wales. The way it's shot here is constantly overcast and in very low light, usually at dusk. Not exactly a loving portrayal but I still really love that.

I also really love Sally Hawkins and Paddy Considine and they are both really great in this, although Considine doesn't have that much to do. The whole cast is good in fact, I'm sure the young leads will get plenty of work from this.

Surprised to learn this was directed by Richard Ayoade of IT Crown and Dark Place fame. Also excited to see he's going to be directing an upcoming episode of Community. Good for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment