Thursday, October 6, 2011

Real Steel


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Alex

Shawn Levy has made a lot of films that, while successful financially, make me cringe just to think about. While he's still operating firmly in the family friendly territory he has the timeless sporting underdog story structure to support him, a decent enough script and some good actors to hold it together. Still there's a lot here that feels like a missed opportunity to me.

The robots are extremely well done. I love that they had so much practical robotics in the film and the effects work is great, some of the designs I loved but most just looked like oversized Happy Meal toys just waiting to happen. And never before have I seen such blatant product placement throughout a film. Astounding.

The film would have you believe that at the heart of all the robot on robot carnage is a touching father son relationship drama. And it's certainly there, it's defiantly the best viable emotion I've witness Levy wrangle from his films. Perhaps I was overly cynical tonight but if I'm being honest, it didn't do much for me.

The film is certainly steps above the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robot film the trailer makes it out to be. Technically it's all great although Danny Elfman provides a nothing kind of score, it does its job and nothing more. The story, although formulaic, works very well. I just feel there was more to mine from this premise that wasn't there. It's too much to ask the film to go any deeper into character or story than it does, that's not what this film is. It's robots fighting. That's cool, I can live with that. It's still very enjoyable and it will still make a load of money, I guess that's all that matters to most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment