Monday, February 13, 2012

The Artist


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Domini

A really enjoyable little film that was severely diminished by my own over-saturation of it leading up to its release. They played the trailer in front of pretty much every movie I have seen at the multiplex for the last 4 months. And while I was hoping to be surprised, unfortunately my dreaded suspicions were confirmed upon watching, that damn trailer it literally the entire film beat for beat.

So the only surprises this film had in store for me was the playful use of silent film language and sound and how it is intrinsically linked to the story and characters. That was fantastic.

And I really did like the film a lot, it's great and I really recommend it. I'm not sure it's as awards worthy as everyone is making out but I can't deny that it really does play up to the film lovers, so like Hugo, it's an obvious choice to pander to the critics.

The film's story is very simple, the characters straightforward. It's a shame I had already seen it 200 times before I paid to watch it again, its simple charms were completely lost on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment