Monday, February 13, 2012

The Grey


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Paul

Unlike The Artist, this film did manage to blow me away. I had read a lot about it and was excited to see it and I think I probably had a slightly better idea of what to expect from it, judging by the reactions as the film ended.

This is a character study first and foremost, that is masked by a survival horror. But make no mistake, the film is Liam Neeson's. And he is damn great in it as well.

I saw this at an advanced screening and I always think the cinema seem to go out of their way to make those screenings the best possible. They had the sound cranked right up and I'd say it probably made the film %50 more effective. The sound is incredible. Especially during that crash sequence. (Unfortunately at this particular screening the focus was ever so slightly out, enough for no one else to care or notice but to bug me to no end. But with such a packed crowd and a cinema with no isles and very little room between rows I didn't want to inconvenience everyone to tell someone to fix it.)

Now we've seen wolves in film before, but I don't think I've ever seen them realised as terrifyingly as in this film. As soon as they show up they set the stakes with a brutal attack. And for the entire rest of the film you never feel safe, like at any moment they'll burst out and rip another survivor apart.

The actors playing the band of survivors are all fine, they seem to be playing pretty strong archetypes. I was upset one of my favourites was offed so soon. They do a great job of making them more than just wolf food to spread out over the running time.

Really though, this whole situation is just a metaphor for our hero's internal struggle. This is a film about fighting through all the shit life throws at you to make it through the day. This struggle is realised in many ways through the film and the more I think about it, the more heartbreaking I think a lot of it is. But damn, you'll be rooting for them to survive by the end. Even when they struggle to find any reason for themselves.

I really want to see this one again soon. I have a feeling this one will be right up there on my 2012 film list.

No comments:

Post a Comment