Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Labyrinth


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan, Amberly

The Imagination of Jim Henson, The Wizardry of George Lucas, The Excitement of David Bowie!

Another nostalgic all-time childhood favourite. Many would agree that this is far more digestable than The Dark Crystal although slightly more dated. You get humans in this film, a faster pace and musical numbers. Plus Terry Jones' humour coming through in the dialogue. And Brian Froud's amazing designs and Trevor Jones' great 80's-tastic score.

And a young Jennifer Connelly, who is just adorable.

Those that grew up with it love it. Those that didn't might find it odd but I think more of it still works than what doesn't. The puppetry is still incredible. I really love the production design, the forced perspectives, matte paintings, all of it. Some revolutionary CG used in the opening titles. A taste of George Lucas to come...

When I think about it now, the idea of David Bowie trying to seduce a 12 year old girl is rather frightening but, that really the point of the whole film, the ol' "young girl escapes to a fantasy world to help her deal with pressures of becoming an adult" story. I do love them.

Well I have nostalgia blindness with this film. I can't view it objectively when I can recite the whole thing, vocal inflections and all. I will say, loved watching it again on a big screen and on bluray. Looks great.

No comments:

Post a Comment