Thursday, March 22, 2012

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Alex, Jordan

Had to follow up The Rum Diary with Terry Gilliam's take. While I know I'm never going to get a straight narrative from some gonzo journalism I do appreciate Gilliam's visual style and his manic sense of chaos seems perfectly suited to this material.

The other thing it does is firmly embed these happenings in a time and place which helps understand the context immensely.

Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro are great and can alternate between hilarious and horrifying at the flip of a switch. And it's fun to spot familiar faces pop up along the way.

This film is exhausting and I also find something very sad about it. It has always intrigued me and it was great to watch again and this time on bluray, after a whole film to set it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment