Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Men in Black 3


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Jordan

Long time coming I guess. And after all the production trouble I heard about this one, I went into the cinema expecting the worst, despite the extravagant display put on for the premiere.

I was surprised I managed to enjoy quite a bit of it despite my grievances with time travel logic cutting into me like a thousand knives. Getting Josh Brolin to play young Agent K is a stroke of genius though. And the film gives you the chance to see Bill Hader as Andy Warhol and Emma Thompson give a wonderful eulogy.

Jemaine Clement is the bad guy this time around and much like the second film, though I like the actor's performance and the alien design work, the character just didn't do that much for me.

On the other hand Michael Stuhlbarg as a 5th dimensional being is pretty great.

Once again, the film is filled with cameos that were fun to spot. The action worked fine and the fx and make up were really great as usual too.  Lord knows how much it ended up costing with all the reshoots and 3d conversion, there was a lot of stuff I remember from early trailers that were nowhere to be seen in the finished film. I'm surprised to say the 3D conversion was really well done, looked great on Imax. Does that make me a bad person?

Time travel folks. As soon as you introduce this kind of paradoxical infinite universe rewriting capabilities into your plot, all stakes become 0. No matter what goes wrong, you can always go back and fix it. The ultimate thematic and emotional point of this device is interesting, if a little convoluted but it's a pet peeve of mine and drives me nuts. 

Despite this, there was enough here that I enjoyed enough. It's not something I'd see myself revisiting a great deal, although I'm very intrigued to see the other versions, deleted scenes and commentaries on the eventual home entertainment releases. I'm sure Sony won't let them be as candid as I'd like but it would be interesting nonetheless. 

2 comments:

  1. Are there gogo dancers, though... that is the question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there were at the premiere, dacing along the black carpet. However I don't recall any from the film. Actually there were dancers at Andy Warhol's party. But you don't get much of a look.

    ReplyDelete