Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Woman in Black


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Jordan

Well, after watching 3 Men in Black films in a row, it was only fair I gave the women a look too.

I didn't know the book or the play, or the original film version. I went into this one cold and it played wonderfully in the cinema.

This one oozes atmosphere. It looks and sounds great. I love the moor and the tides that cut off the house, the creeeeeeeeeepy production design throughout and the performances from the cast. Most of all though, I love the incredibly sustained suspense sequence that takes place the first night inside the house. It felt like about half the film was just that one night and each beat lead to something else, never letting up. Amazing. I could have watched that night continue for the whole film. The second night is much shorter but still pretty spooky, but it was that first night that really got me going.

I'll admit, I was expecting some big twist or revelation towards the end, I think the landscape of modern ghost stories just made this a convention, but now I think about it I really like how simple and straight forward the story is. The majority of the time goes to atmosphere building and freaking the audience out and it worked wonders for me.

The first great horror film of the year, I hope there are many more to come. Definitely give this a look on the big screen, where it needs deserves be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment