Monday, September 10, 2012

Valkyrie


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan, Michael

Come on Bryan Singer, where is Jack the Giant Killer? So long between films while he's been busy producing, but seem as I only ever saw this once, at the cinema, I thought I might give it another look.

There is always that worry that if you know the outcome of a situating going into a film it won't be enjoyable. But I still enjoy watching Titanic, even though I know it's going to sink at the end. We all know they don't kill Hitler. But it's very impressive how close it came to changing the course of the war.

And it's pretty tense too. The staging of some of the sequences are very impressive and right from the beginning the suspense is there. There is of course a dreaded inevitability to the whole operation which I think works in the scripts favour.

And then the awesome cast just take it up a notch too. It's also a handsomely produced film. It makes an interesting companion piece to Singer's other Nazi themed film Apt Pupil. This is a considerably grander undertaking than that title but just as tightly constructed.

No comments:

Post a Comment