Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Matrix Reloaded


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Tyler

The two Matrix sequels are divisive, to say the least. Understandably so. So much expectation after the first film. The Wachowski's had a story they wanted to tell and it's not what everyone wanted to see. Watching all 3 together now the second two do seem tonally different but there's no denying they are part of the same world. They are also on a much larger scale than the first one, which seems almost modest by comparison.

They also start laying on the psychobabble really thick. I think that pissed a lot of people off. I don't mind so much but it is kind of ridiculous. I think I just overlook any glaring problems with the film because I love that damn car chase soooooo much.

Gotta say watching it again this time I was far more invested in the Architect's speech and I think I understood much more of what he was getting on about this time through that I only have a vague notion of before. The logistics of Zion being another machine system of control and having been destroyed and rebuilt 6 times before already never solidified in my brain on previous viewings. That exposition goes so fast, buried in that college professor language but getting my head around it now, it's actually the most interesting idea in the film.

Anyway still an amazingly stylish piece of entertainment. The burly brawl is just ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment