Thursday, November 28, 2013

Carrie


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Tyler, Shane

It's a fine film, to be sure. But it does beg the question, why the remake? If it were a re-adaptation I could understand, but it takes a lot of the same paths as Brian De Palma's original film. I thought they might use today's technology to up the scale of destruction but it's still relatively low-budget. I thought they might have tried to make the film more extreme but the original is still more intense.

It's really hard not to compare when the films are so similar. As much as I love ChloĆ« Grace Moretz, I'm so used to seeing her playing strong female characters that it's hard to accept her as Carrie. Also it doesn't matter how much they rough up her hair, she's still pretty. But let's be honest, it's great fun to watch her and a deranged Julianne Moore go at it.

There's one or two nice additions and they've included the use of social media and cyber bulling to make the story current. There's no nudity, no slapping bitchy students, but there's plenty of blood and a lot of digitally manipulated mayhem at the prom.

Kimberly Peirce manages fine with the characters and drama side of things, but her handle on the action is not as strong. 

It's a tough one to nut out. I really did like this version but my memories of the original are strong and I can't help compare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment