Saturday, October 18, 2014

House on Haunted Hill


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Tyler

I grew up with the remake, but was always intrigued by these old William Castle films. You read all the stories about what a showman he was and all the gimmicks he used to get people in the cinema. Here apparently it was a flying skeleton that rose up next to the screen. I feel like that would be distracting rather than immersive. Anyway, I got to just focus on the film.

Love me a bit of Vincent Price. It's old a hoaky but there's one or two scares that still work okay. It's funny watching the old school female hysterical acting. And I do like how the film opens with a creepy soundscape on black. That would have been cool in a cinema.

Elisha Cook is just hilariously over the top from the first line of the film. Actually it's a little annoying. But it's not exactly the worlds best haunted house film. It's a pretty straightforward story and in the end, I don't even think there were any ghosts at all? Well it's fun to see where that remake came from. I barely remember that film too. Maybe another rematch is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment