Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Easy A


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

Yay Amanda Bynes actually has something to do in this film! This teen flick is up there with Mean Girls for me. Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci are THE best parents in the world. In fact the film is populated with a plethora of great comedic adult actors. Thomas Haden Church, Lisa Kudrow, hell even Malcolm McDowell all have their moments. And as great as Amanda Bynes is in he prissy christian bitch role, this film belongs to Emma Stone who is fantastic in the lead.

This just has a great script. It's funny, has some great teen speak and isn't too cliche. In fact it goes out of its way to point out the conventions of teen films and has some fun with them.

This film has the most gratuitous use of 3D title tracking since the Fringe captions. Also, useless trivia, I was listening to the commentary this time in which they reveal there are oranges in every scene. Good for them.

Will Gluck's previous film Fired Up! is an under seen and underrated comedy. The trailer did that film no favours. If you haven't seen it, check it out because it is great. Thankfully this film got a lot more recognition. I had downloaded the script for it but held off reading until I had seen the film. They had obviously taken out all the bad language for a PG13 rating but really I don't think it makes any difference to the finished product.

His next film is called Friends with Benefits and comes out later this year. Not to be confused with No Strings Attached which looks like the exact same thing. Strangly enough one stars Natalie Portman and the other Mila Kunis. Have a look at the trailers, I know which one I'm looking forward to more.

2 comments:

  1. i watched it on the plane, it turned out to be heaps better than i thought! also, emma stone rocks. and her parents are just HILARIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I re-watched this yesterday. Had it playing in the background for inspiration while I wrote you-know-what...

    I also downloaded the script as a reference...apparently it was written in something crazy like ten days... Wish I could produce something that quickly.

    A second viewing catapulted this one up to very near the top of my fave teen movies list. I don't think it quite beats MEAN GIRLS, which I think is slightly sharper and smarter, but its come closer to it than any other recent film I can think of.

    ReplyDelete