Thursday, May 5, 2011

Flight of the Navigator


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Dominic, Zoe

Another childhood favourite that a lot of others never heard of. I hear Disney is planning a remake. Don't know how I feel about that, but an updated version might be cool.

The whole film is a lot of fun. But the best thing about this one is the set up. It's actually really scary and mysterious especially as a youngster. Kid goes out for a walk but when he gets home someone else is living in his house and his parents are gone. That's freaky for one but then to find your parents living somewhere else and they are 8 years older and thought you were dead is also pretty spooky.

The spaceship in this is awesome. It was one of the first things I would recreate when I figured out how to make reflective surfaces. It's very early cg but it works a charm.

Paul Reubens voices Max the robot in the ship. You can hear his patented Pee Wee Herman laugh. He does get a little annoying when he downloads pop culture sayings and starts talking like a douche kid from the 80's.

But the whole kid on the run form the government thing is something I love in a lot of 80's sci-fi stuff. In this, in D.A.R.Y.L. and of course E.T. I don't think the Explorers had that but It did have some kids and an awesome spaceship. I've been on a bit of an 80's kids film rant these last few weeks haven't I. I'll stop that soon enough, but I do love them.

Check this one out if you've never seen it. Alan Silvestri does the score and it doesn't sound like anything he'd make today, it's 80's-tastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment