Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Gandahar aka Light Years


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

Never heard of this one before, but what a cool movie. Avatar eat your heart out.

I'm a big Fantastic Plant fan but hadn't seen any other features René Laloux made. Then I saw Isaac Asimov wrote the english adaptation, the one I watched. That makes you sit up and take notice.

Like Fantastic Planet, this one features some very trippy imagery and great animation. The most bizarre and incredible design of creatures and plants and the whole world they created awesome.

Add to that a story or a young man on a quest, mutants, robot army and Christopher Plummer as a giant brain and you have a film that speaks wonders to me. The film also has time travel. I'm so picky about time travel and here it is one giant paradox that makes no sense at all, even to the mutants who do no acknowledge the present, only the co-existanse of past and future. Or something.

I've never heard an action synth 80's score from Gabriel Yared. What a treat. The Weinstein's were in charge of the American version and they got a great cast for the voices (and cut out the one love scene).

Anyway I really like this one, it's right up my ally. I must try and find the other Laloux feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment