Thursday, June 23, 2011

Revolutionary Road


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Amberly, Matt

Another fantastic Sam Mendes film and one I haven't watched as much as his others, not just because it's newer but also because it's pretty hard going drama. Intense maaaaan.

It's a beautifully crafted film, immaculately photographed, beautifully scored by Thomas Newman and such great cast performing at the top of their game, with characters they can really sink their teeth into. I feel like Mad Men took a lot of cues from this film.

I can see why Mendes would want to do something like Away We Go after the heavy lifting everyone has to do in this. But they are all so damn good it looks easy. I can't believe this wasn't nominated for more oscars, I liked Winslet more in this than The Reader.

Let's talk about Michael Shannon. Oh god I love him. He just breezes in and out of the movies and leaves a trail of carnage. He's always the best thing in anything he's in and it's great to see him getting recognised more and lead roles.

I don't know much about the novel except by reputation. I do know people have been trying to adapt it to screen for many years before this. I can't talk for the adaptation but just as a film the script is immaculately constructed. There was one bit that felt a little shoehorned in to make a thematic point but on the whole it's just great, like the rest if the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment