Thursday, August 18, 2011

Conan the Barbarian


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Naomi, Jordan

Worst post conversion 3D. If you can avoid seeing it in 3D do so. But apart from that... eh it was alright actually. A bit silly, that's to be expected, but it is gloriously violent which is delightful. My favourite part involved a dude with a chopped off nose and Conan's finger...

Jason Momoa is pretty damn awesome as Conan. I have to admit, I have no strong affinity for the original film or Arnold Schwarzenegger. I do enjoy it but I don't have any strong connection to the source material or nostalgia associated with it. I liked this one about as much as the original.

I liked the opening in this one a little more though. Young Conan is neat. And bonus points for his crazy birth scene and his dad being Ron Perlman. What I didn't like so much are the villains. They aren't that villainous. Rose McGowan looks freaky enough and looks like she's having fun but overall I didn't find them that effective. The love interest wasn't that well done here either.

There's some nice CG matte paintings. Marcus Nispel films always look interesting. It's far more fast paced and action oriented than the original. Conan's a bit more of a savage killer in this one. I could get onboard with some sequels from this iteration, just as long as the story is a little more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment