Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Oliver!


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

I have't actually watched this again since I was probably 7 or 8 and yet I remember pretty much every single line of it. This film is the last of it's kind, the classic 2 act film musical and it's also one of the very best.

I don't know how it compares to the stage version but I just know Consider Yourself and Who Will Buy and probably the 2 biggest musical numbers I've ever seen on screen. I was gobsmacked watching it again, there's so much filling the frame. If you're going to do a big musical on film you may as well go all out and stage something that is just impossible to replicate on stage. The film really takes advantage of the filmic language and some awesome sets. It's no wonder it won all those academy awards.

They don't make them like this no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment