Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Mimic


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Tyler, Jordan

Guillermo del Toro's second film and his first american feature. Although I have seen it many a time, this is the first time I've watched through this new director's cut. It is the exact same film I remember with perhaps 7-10 minutes of new exposition added. As the original script Del Toro wanted to film was changed by the studio before the opportunity to film any of the scenes happened, it's hardly much of a director's cut, but I'm hoping his commentary will be able to shed light onto what happened between him and the Weinstein brothers, looking forward to that immensely.

As it is now, it's a very nice but a very flawed creature feature. You can see glimpses into the director he would becomes and many familiar motifs are used throughout. I have issues with the pacing and there are many themes that could have been explored better. Chances are this is the result of studio tampering.

I like the cast. Always love Jeremy Northam. Really like the score and the creatures too. Fond memories of horror films from this period. They are probably much worse than I remember them but after re-watching this one I'd say it holds up surprisingly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment