Sunday, January 8, 2012

North by Northwest


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Amberly, Jordan

Oh man Cary Grant is such a dick but very funny. I'll admit I never really cared for Jimmy Stuart, so I'm glad he's not in this. But of course, the best is James Mason who just makes everything he does the epitome of cool.

A classic Hitchcock mistaken identity thriller, and while it's not one of my favourites it's certainly one I'm quite fond of. The crop duster in the corn field scene has been parodied more times than I care to remember and it is rather iconic. Oh and a climax on the Washington Monument that's pretty awesome too. And in between that we get some of the most hilarious banter infused with so much sexual innuendo between Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint that it almost makes you believe people would find Cary Grant's fake tan so appealing. Or that she was 26.

OK, I'm sure that's just the makeup they used at the time but the technicolor film really hilights the reds which doesn't do him any favours. The newly restored bluray looks great and is filled with awesome extras. I've had it for a while now but never actually got around to watching the feature. You can really see the rear projection now in scenes that I might not have noticed it before. Sure you expect it in cars but they also use it just walking down the street or train station, or airport.

When I watch Panic Room I always think of their title sequence as a modern update of the titles the great Saul Bass did from this. And once again Bernard Herrmann provides an awesome score. All around, this one is a lot of fun and great to catch up on again. I hope they start releasing more of the master of suspense's work on bluray soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment