Friday, January 6, 2012

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Naomi

Guy Ritchie's bombastic version of the classic detective gets a sequel. I never felt the need to revisit the first installation, although as I'm not a diehard fan of the work I wasn't as outraged as some over the choice of tone.

As much as I love Mark Strong, Moriarty is a far more intriguing villain and the stakes are higher here. Noomi Rapace doesn't have much to do and the Watson/Holmes relationship storyline was a bit of a bore.

What stands out to me most is the production design. Stunning. Absolutely gorgeous.

The action has some funky extreme speed ramping, and they have some fun with the premeditative fighting style of Holmes, using it in various ways here. It's probably more engaging than the first but really I hardly remember any of it right now, just white noise.

If you liked the first one you'll probably love this. Once again, I'm completely indifferent.

No comments:

Post a Comment