Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Avatar


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Alex

Well I just found out that the special edition was playing for one week only at Imax and managed to squeeze in a viewing on the last day. It's been long enough since my last visit to Pandora that I figured I could manage another go around. And besides this film is best viewed in 3D on the biggest screen possible.

The special edition adds in very little significant material. Besides Tsu'tey's death scene it's just some extra fun stuff. It's also my introduction to The Lorax.

Still it was wonderful to go back and revisit as I haven't seen it since the original bluray release. This is the biggest blockbuster ever and it plays in very broad strokes however the visuals and entertainment cannot be denied. I still cannot believe what they pulled off creating this world.

I do not like James Horner's score. Mainly because of the glaring overuse of his "doom signifier" theme that is apparently in every score he ever writes and will always grate on my nerves.

A lot of the big emotional punches are too broad and feel very movie moment-ish. Not really a problem but it does cause snickers. I just love that the "big movie acting" moments that are so silly and easily recognisable are so well captured by weta it still feels realistically bad.

Man you forget just how big this movie is. It's rare you get to see sci-fi or fantasy world building on this scale so I soak it up while I can. I do hope there is more, the world is there now so all that remains is to get more interesting with their storytelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment