Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bel Ami


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

I don't know the book, didn't even read a synopsis beforehand, I do like going in blind. Theatre directors Declan Donnellan and Nick Ormerod have made a handsome looking debut film that, while it didn't do much for me, still had enough going for it that I found it engaging for the most part.

Basically, Robert Pattinson plays an asshole who sleeps with a whole bunch of women in his quest for more power and money. And it works. Perhaps not the most uplifting of stories but I really did love the bitter ending. 

You get a lot of classy talk and a fair few sex scenes that all wildly differ in tone and intent instead of just being gratuitous. Although you could doubt with the casting stunts the film pulls.

While I found the acting a bit bland sometimes and a real lack of drive, I didn't find much offensive about this one. It was a fun little number.

No comments:

Post a Comment