Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Men in Black 2


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

I saw this one once at the cinema and possible once more on dvd but I never really revisited it. I recall just finding it boring and really hated the way they just completely negate everything Tommy Lee Jones' character does in the first film.

Watching it again, right after part one, it held up better than I thought. It really was just more of the same and although it feels a bit sillier and kiddy in a lot of places, and my issues with the character reset remain, you can't deny it's not part of the same universe as the first film.

Much much more expensive looking. And for a result that isn't necessarily as thrilling. Lara Flynn Boyle as the bad guy doesn't really work as well for me. And Johnny Knoxville was just annoying. But we do get a brief glimpse of Patrick Warburton as an agent which is just delightful.

We also get a pretty funny retro sci-fi conspiracy tv show that handles the bulk of the exposition. It's pretty funny.

Oh yeah, Michael Jackson.

They tried to do a similar shift in perspective that the first film did so well, opening with that shot of the dragonfly and closing with the big galaxy pull out reveal. In this film we have a train station locker filled with terribly written joke sprouting plush toys in the making and a final reveal that just doesn't do anything. Frank the Pug returns and even sings Who Let the Dogs Out much to my dismay and the delight of kids everywhere. Too much kiddyness in this for me.They practically use the exact same macguffin as the first film too, which seems lazy.

But I do like the worm in the subway.

No comments:

Post a Comment