Sunday, March 3, 2013

Side Effects


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes

The prolific Steven Soderbergh has another film out already, seemingly out of nowhere. And if things are to be believed, his last theatrical feature before his self-imposed retirement. This saddens me.

Scott Z. Burns has written another pretty typical thriller cloaked in veil of very intelligent sounding dialogue and fast moving scenes. It's quite a cold and clinical film but there are still some thrills to be had.

The cast are all on top of things and Soderbergh films is beautifully. I just wished it were a little more empathetic. The thrilling twists and turns ended up making me feel a little more cheated than rewarded but the film went for the more flashy entertaining route than the dramatic. 

I did enjoy the film though, but if this is to be Soderbergh's last, I wish it was a bit more of a high note.

No comments:

Post a Comment