Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Million Dollar Hotel


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

Strange movie. Story by Bono? heh.

Wow, ok so the I just realised that before watching this the only other Wim Wenders film I've seen is Paris, Texas and that was a long time ago when I was still in high school so I hardly remember it. So I only really know his work by reputation.

The main reason for watching this was I find Jeremy Davies fascinating. It was certainly no disappointment in that department. In fact all the cast was great, playing some very bizarre characters. I especially liked the great Peter Stormare playing a John Lennon wannabe. Milla Jovovich is on hand playing the femme fatale of the piece. And Mel Gibson is pretty funny as the cop.

This film feels like a fever dream of a modern noir. It's filled with crazy characters and meandering plots. I'm not entirely sure I picked up what was going on all the time. It feels very train of thought. It wafts from scene to scene. I guess you have to be in the right mood for that kind of movie, I was a little restless and found it hard to connect to anything.

But I did appreciate the aesthetic and the funky characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment