Friday, March 18, 2011

The Unbearable Lightness of Being


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

I think I did this film a bit of a disservice, my head wasn't completely together as I was watching. I think i needed something more perky today but instead all I could find was this rather slow moving character relationship piece. There was something about the war and a lot of sexy scenes but ultimately I missed the point of it all.

Juliette Binoche;s character is a little screwed up. She feels everything so intensely. I don't think I've seen much of Lena Olin's stuff before the late 90's so that was a treat. Ditto for Daniel Day-Lewis. They all craft great layered characters.

It's also shot beautifully. Not just the countryside landscapes of sex scenes, but Soviet's invade and they switch filmstock it's visceral and look authentic, for all I know they used stock footage and shot pieces like this so they would match but either way I really like that.

I wasn't ready for the end when it came, but I don't think I was paying close enough attention to the workings of the characters to figure out what they were leading up to. So if I'm just going by plot, I couldn't say I'd plan to revisit this one. It really just felt like a sequence of events that happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment