Monday, April 4, 2011

Dead Presidents


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

I can't find a trailer (in english) for this film anywhere. Seems like I'm not the only one who's overlooked it before.

The first thing I knew about this movie was the Danny Elfman score. I figured it had something to do with the vietnam war. Sure does. Then I saw it on the Hughes brothers filmography so I figured it was going to have some cool african american characters and some action. Right again.

This is a really well put together film that manages to feel satisfying even with it's inevitable downer ending. Bank robbery films rarely end well. Doubly so for characters that went through the Vietnam War. And Tripply for some poor black dudes in the Bronx in the early 70's.

What saves the film is a great sprawling story (I think any film that has a handful of war scenes in it suddenly becomes a sprawling epic) and great work from a fine cast of guys (so young at the time!) that flesh these characters out.

The film looks great, the soundtrack is pumping', and the whole picture painted of this time and places feels very authentic and real. I really enjoyed stumbling onto this one and I suggest you check it out. It's better than the Hughes bros. more recent work, (Book of Eli wasn't too bad though) I just hope they don't screw up that live action AKIRA if they are still attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment