Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Addams Family


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

Watching Men in Black again recently made me want to go back and check out Barry Sonnenfeld's other film series, also based on comics and of course the famous tv series adaptation. I never really watched the show but was somehow aware of it. Who doesn't know that theme song?

Once again, a very long time since I last watched the film, I don't think I have seen it since the early 90's when they came out. I have very vague memories of them both and remember enjoying them. And I enjoyed rewatching them, they are a lot of fun. I wonder if you could get away with that much fake blood in a kids film today?

The thin plot is basically there to support the gags but as silly as they are I found them funny, so I shouldn't complain. They do manage to slid in some darker humor in the mix as well which seems appropriate, and muchly appreciated.

The lighting is impeccable, you can tell this was directed by a former cinematographer. I love the way Anjelica Huston's eyes are always lit like a femme fatale from a noir.

Those fx done for Thing are great too.

The best thing about the film besides the humor and the look is the casting. Everyone is fantatsic.

No comments:

Post a Comment