Saturday, June 2, 2012

Excalibur


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

Oh man, such an odd film. But pretty great. This has some great British thespians going nice and big. Everything is either shouted or whispered. And is it just me or do they spend a great deal of time performing scenes waist deep in water or mud?

The lighting is pretty trippy too. A lot of very bright green, pink and blue highlights. But it's really only as off-kilter as the rest of the film. I don't really quite know what it is about it, perhaps the very theatrical performances, or the dialogue. In any case it certainly has a unique feeling to it.

Many consider this the best telling of Arthurian legend. It smashes through it pretty quick but ultimately I think it works. If you can get on board with the style.

I think I saw this once when I was much younger but as the whole film feels a little like a dream it's hard to be sure. Good to see again.

No comments:

Post a Comment