Friday, November 2, 2012

Bachelorette


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

You'd be forgiven for thinking this is just a wannabe Bridesmaids. From the trailers I saw at the cinema it looks like a pretty trash rom-com. But then I noticed a few things in the opening credits that made me sit up a little most notably that this is an adaptation of a play.

I don't think this could be further from the fun of Bridesmaids. This is scarring. Horrifying. These characters are fascinating and extreme and terrible, terrible people. Like other Dirty Sanchez productions, you are following characters that are broken and the film walks the line between getting you to laugh at them and just plain being shocked or infuriated by them.

This film is not really going for laughs at all. While I found a lot of it funny and really liked some of the performances, Isla Fisher was a very unexpected stand out, the heart of this film is sad and bitter.

One of the plot lines didn't really work for me and there is a really odd marriage (no pun intended) of gritty character work and terrible rom-com cliche. Those few moments really pull me out of what was an otherwise unexpected surprise and one I quite enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment