Sunday, February 20, 2011

Naked Lunch


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Amberly, Jordan

I can think of two things wrong with that title.

Every time I watch this film I think I get more out of it. This time the end just seemed so much more tragic. It's a very strange movie that's a mixture of biography and adaptation. I must confess I have not yet read the book, which ay or may not help but I do have a much greater understanding of the author and the context in which it was written.

I think this is Peter Weller's finest work. He's playing a man that on some conscious level knows he's getting addicted to drugs and wants to stop but the guilt of killing his wife, his ambivalent feelings about sexuality and his need to write while intoxicated keep him falling deeper and deeper into delusion.

And the delusions are great fun to watch. Another David Cronenberg film that I just love.

No comments:

Post a Comment