Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Vertigo


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Tyler

Decided to watch this after the Oscars last night. So many arbitrary films nominated this year, none of my favourites made the grade and only one or two that I thought were worthy of any kind of award. Alfred Hitchcock never won though so what do they know?

Some very cool Saul Bass designs for the credits. And an awesome total trip out dream half way through the film. Very cool.

I forgot how slowly the film moves. Everything is methodically told to the audience. You'd never get away that today. But it does allow long periods of no dialogue where Bernard Herrmann gets to show of his music. This is a far more melodramatic score that I'm used to from him but it's till great. They used it in The Artist, which is probably what made me want to watch it again tonight.

Without that music we're just watching James Stewart tailing Kim Novak for an hour. But the music gives a sense of mystery and dread to the whole affair.

Now I'll be honest I've never been a big James Stewart fan. I know he's had some cool roles but I don't get him as an actor. I know him more as a funny voice impression than anything else. Kim Novak's pretty great though.

This whole film has such an eerie feeling. But despite the slow pace is always riveting. Good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment