Saturday, March 3, 2012

Carnage


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

Yes! Wonderful! Bravo.

Roman Polanski does another play adaptation and with this delightful cast it's just brilliantly handled. Just two couples talking in a room, all played out in real time and lasting just over an hour but it's absolutely captivating and hilarious.

I just love that the film starts off with one couple leaving and they can just never get away. Once they make it to the door, twice they make it all the way to the elevator but slowly and surly this argument keeps drawing them back and things just keep getting more out of hand.

I remember watching Polanski's Death and the Maiden in high school which made me really want to perform the play. But reading the play, all the parts I loved from the film were absent. I don't know how much has been changed from this play but the film at least knows not to overstay its welcome.

You get the point pretty early, well you can probably tell the point from the trailer, but this film manages to bows out at a high where any further escalation would be cartoonish.

Really I just love watching these actors perform. That's reason enough to like it for me.

Also, even though it's only used in the opening and closing credits Alexandre Desplat gave the film a nice little score.

While it might seem a little slight for some, it was just was I was hoping for to end today. Very nice indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment