Wednesday, March 14, 2012

21 Jump Street


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

Alright, the first big comedy of the year and my lord it is fantastic. I'll definitely be seeing this one again. Of course I shouldn't expect anything less from the directors of the funniest animated film of the decade, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and the writer of perhaps my favourite film of all time, Scott Pilgrim Vs The World. With credentials like that it was bound to at least be entertaining but this one really goes for broke.

Now I've never seen an episode of 21 Jump Street, I didn't even know the premise until I saw the trailer for this film. But it is rather ridiculous and the film makes ample fun of that fact without ever crossing the line too far into self referential parody. I was afraid I may have seen all the jokes play out in the trailers as one often does with comedies today (Project X, I'm looking at you...) but it turns out they took that increasingly popular route of only showing the set up and a few brief gags, often with different punch lines or takes than used in the film proper.

The start of the film plays out just like in the trailer and just as fast. It doesn't take long at all to get this odd couple out of high school into the police academy and then back into high school undercover, now as best friends.

The real joy for me was the do over role reversal story of getting a second chance to go back to high school. Jonah Hill is great and Channing Tatum matches him toe to toe. I maintain that when directed by the right people, Tatum is fantastic and he certainly proves that here.

The film effortlessly follows all the right beats but manages to keep them fresh and the lead up to the climax is wonderful.

There is plenty to enjoy here. So many gags that if one does happen to fall flat, there's something else coming up 5 seconds later that'll make you forget. Brilliant cameos. This is the comedy to beat this year so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment