Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The People Under the Stairs


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

Oh man, how have I never seen this before? Amazing.

I love that I can still find a few John Carpenter or Wes Craven horror films I haven't seen and be surprised by them. This one is so much fun. It feels like a kids move but it's made by an adult horror film maker, who doesn't pull any punches.

Now its a pretty ridiculous premise and the film has a lot of fun with that. One of the odd things about it is the tone, it's very funny in parts, very kids adventure movie in others and then there's all the flat out horror stuff on top.

I think mostly it's these big cartoonish characters that gets me. I don't think it entirely works but good or bad, either way it's entertaining. An hey, it's the couple from twin peaks, so it's kinda to be expected. It's too kiddy to work as a horror film in places and too horrific to be able to show it to kids in others. But that also just makes it funny to me.

Anyway I really loved this one. That 90's Universal logo just flooded me with nostalgia and got me in the right frame of mind for this kind of film. Delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment