Thursday, March 15, 2012

CQ


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

Correct me if I'm wrong but after 11 years, this film still hasn't been released in Australia. I've been reading about it and intrigued by it for a few years now but only just managed to get a copy to see. It's totally my kind of movie though.

As far as I'm aware this is Roman Coppola's only feature film although we all know his writing with Wes Anderson. It gets away with a lot of the more pretentious art house self referential existential character crisis stuff purely because everything surrounding it is so much fun. And because Jeremy Davies is the one delivering it. And because the film actually takes the time to criticise this about itself so it kinda makes it intentional either way and hard to criticise it.

Besides Jeremy Davies, this film contains quite a few other things I particularly love to see. Period filmmaking, Bad 60's sci-fi, old school fx, the making of old school fx, Jason Schwartzman being ridiculous, Billy Zane not being terrible and a story that merges with the story within the story.

Ultimately the whole film is about filmmaking and the process. It's bound to appeal to me but the added sci-fi story just takes it to another level of awesome. If you can ever find a copy, give it a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment