Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Separation


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Tyler

I think this might be the first Iranian film I've seen. I know it won the Oscar for best foreign film but that's all I knew going in. Once again I have to wait for a foreign film to be able to see something with no preconceived notion of what to expect.

This is one of those really uncomfortable dramas where the central conflict is a little grey as to who's in the wrong and everyone is angry and upset as hell. It's superbly acted and feels very realistic. It's also just interesting to see a story about regular life in Iran.

Much like my favourite separation themed movie, The Squid and the Whale, the film is left open ended, with the feeling that these kinds of arguments will be ongoing and there's not much anyone can do about them. It's a sobering film, well made, with some very honest portrayals. While it's not a barrel of laughs, it is still very engaging and enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment