Friday, July 15, 2011

Return to Oz


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

After Watching The Wizard of Oz yesterday I couldn't resist watching this one again. This one is just a much better fit for my sensibilities. It's much darker, there's no singing and there's some very adult themes woven in. I love the idea that Dorothy is probably just completely insane and the debate over if it was a dream, insanity or actually took place are much more vague in this instalment.

Anyone that watched this as a kid will remember being traumatised by the horrific screeching and manic laughter of the wheelers. But even more scary is Mombi and all her heads. Stuff of nightmares.

I also really love the gnome king and his gnomes. The traditional animation that brings them to life fits so perfectly for the characters. And the utter seriousness in which they proclaim the arrival of a chicken is hilarious to boot. Jim Henson's workshop created several amazing puppet creatures for the film including Tic-Tok and Jack Pumpkinhead. I've read a little about how they had to bring them to life and it sounds extremely uncomfortable but it absolutely pays off. They are great characters.

David Shire's score is to my mind one of the best things he's ever written. It's absolutely gorgeous. Give it a listen! It's such a wonderful fantasy score and one of my all time favourites. I find myself humming it all the time.

This was probably the first time I saw Fairuza Balk too. I haven't seen her in anything for a while be she does do the crazy well. Although in this film she's perfectly innocent. I have a little trouble with Piper Laurie as her mother but only because I know her mainly as a crazy psychotic bitch from other films.

Much love for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment