Monday, February 6, 2012

Gerry


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan, Amberly

I originally put this film on as a punishment. That's being really harsh on the film though. I actually quite like it. But it's not the sort of thing you watch over and over again. Very divisive and rightly so.

Gus Van Sant's first foray into his minimalist style, which he continued and refined with Elephant and Last Days. Of the 3 I find Elephant to be the most successful but this certainly has it's merits.

It's one I think you have to be prepared for though, it's easy to be infuriated by this one. Really, not much happens. And then less happens. Eventually even the landscape just becomes flat white.

The film doesn't give you much to go on but if you find it possible to become invested in these two characters the slow dragging of time actually manages to keep upping the stakes and the finale is quite effective. Although it's still exceptionally subdued and subtle. Like the whole film.

Man, it's a tricky one. But I do find if you're in the right mood it can be somewhat hypnotic. You just need to make sure you're willing to set aside the time. It'll also hit home harder if you ever have been lost in the wilderness, at least I think it does for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment